Saturday, May 2, 2009

Culture: Joke

A man walks up to a woman in a restaurant in Eger, Hungary. The woman is dressed in a rather formal looking black jacket since it's a cool and windy evening. She and her husband have just finished a wonderful meal and are preparing to leave the restaurant.

The man, in advance of his wife and two children, speaks pleasantly to the woman, obviously asking a question. The woman, not understanding (and obviously not LISTENING), says in Hungarian, "Nem ertem" (I don't understand). The man shifts from GERMAN to English, asking in English, "Do you speak English?" The American woman, happy to be able to help, says "Yes, I speak English." The man asks, "Do you have a table for four available?"

The American woman (me) breaks up, and tells the German family that the restaurant is wonderful and that the HUNGARIAN waiter (who probably speaks English and German as well) will be with them shortly. So much for Amerikai communication! Bert tells me I need to have some German so I can at least say 'I don't understand' in an appropriate language!

And, yes, this fish is from that restaurant!

No comments: