Saturday, June 20, 2009

Learning: Lifelong Learning through Libraries

While it was a great opportunity for me to get to present at the NETWORKSHOP 2009 conference in Szeged in April, I must admit I was relieved when told there wasn't enough time for me to do a presentation (on blogging!) at the ENTITLE: Lifelong Learning Conference in early May in Eger. I wouldn't have been the only English-language presenter at this conference, and they did have the equipment for simultaneous translation. But what do I know of lifelong learning services in European libraries? Actually, as it turns out, quite a lot. At least the topics discussed seemed familiar.

I have a doctoral student at Valdosta State University who is working on quality of life and lifelong learning, and found that some of the same research she had cited was also relevant in the European context. Libraries seemed to be poised to be centers for lifelong learning activities, both in place and virtual.

The format of the conference was familiar-- keynote session, concurrent sessions, and displays and vendors. As often the case at Eszterházy Károly, the venue for the meeting was beautiful--the original chapel with an impressive ceiling covered with murals in the Lyceum.

The conference audience seemed familiar--mostly female, professionally dressed, mostly from Hungary, but from other countries as well. The speakers were, unfortunately, also predictable--mostly male administrators. Some things about library conferences are definitely cross-cultural.

And, as usual in Eger, the refreshments and hospitality were GREAT! Interesting and informative conference. I'll have to tell my doctoral student all about it!

No comments: