Friday, June 26, 2009

Reflection: Culture


CULTURE

“Culture is the ideas, customs, arts, skills, etc., of a given people” (New World Dictionary). I’ve read about Hungarian culture, talked to Hungarians about Hungarian culture, and observed elements of Hungarian culture. So what do I know? I know it’s different, and I like it a lot. Any comments I make are not on Hungarian culture, but on what it’s like for an American to live within Hungarian culture for a relatively short period of time. So here are three outstanding differences between my life in Eger and my life in Valdosta…

The automobile. Living without a car, and without the need for a car, for four months was wonderful. It changes everything, from shopping venues and frequency, to trip-planning, to automatic physical fitness.

Café society. Having lots and lots of small restaurants and cafes from which to choose. Talking for hours on end, without the necessity to clear the table and move on to make way for another customer. Great coffee, wine, and beer, to say nothing of the excellent food.

Hospitality. Over-the-top kindness and generosity from every person I met. Academic professionals, most of whom have to patch together multiple jobs and teach lots of students, make it a priority to entertain and assist visitors.

So, how was Hungary? Read this blog. Read history. Watch politics. Explore the language and literature. Go there. Talk to Hungarians. Find out. You’ll like what you find.

No comments: